Driving Education - Blog | LTrent

How Many Driving Lessons Do I Need To Pass

How Many Driving Lessons Do I Need To Pass | LTrent Driving School

While you must log at least 120 hours of supervised driving by law, including at least 20 hours of driving at night, there is no specific rule about how many lessons you’ll need to pass.

However, it does greatly depend on your comfort on the road. It’s estimated that those drivers who increase supervised on-road experience with a driving instructor end up doing better in the practical driving test, and tend to reduce their crash risk by 30% in the first two years of driving!


How Many Driving Lessons Are Required By Law

How Many Driving Lessons Are Required By Law | LTrent Driving School

There are a number of driving lessons and driving hours that you’ll need before you’re able to get enough practical driving experience to take your driving test.

In fact, research has shown that learner drivers who have more supervised experience reduce crash risk by upwards of 30% during their first two years of solo driving!

The learner driver log book is necessary to log your hours of supervised driving in order for you to obtain your driver’s licence. You need to log at least 120 hours of supervised driving over 12 months. This includes a minimum of 20 hours of night driving before you are able to take the test.


What Is The Safer Driving Course

What Is The Safer Driving Course | LTrent Driving School

The Safer Driving Course is great for NSW drivers that want to learn about how to best become a safe driver.

The course helps you to learn about reducing risks that may be on the road, anticipating any hazardous situations, and can even teach you how to make the best decisions possible while on the road!

With the help of a certified driving instructor, completing the course is simple. In-class and car coaching sessions provide a safe environment for learner drivers after the driving test.


5 Questions To Ask When Choosing A Driving School


1. How comprehensive is the curriculum?

This question really should be do they have a curriculum? Make sure the driving school you choose has a comprehensive learn to drive program. Is there a textbook? Does the instructor have lesson plans? Is there a method for you to track your progress?

Check out the Trent learn to drive program here.


2. Is the tuition one-on-one?

It’s really important to check this one. At Trent, we have heard so many cases of a learner getting into an instructors car at other driving schools only to find another learner in the back seat. This saves the instructor money not you. The best way to learn to drive is one-on-one.


3. What accreditations do they hold?

The driving instruction industry is covered by the driving instructors act. Make sure that the driving school you choose has instructors that hold the following accreditations:

  • Current Driving Instructors licence
  • Certificate IV Road Transport and Logistics (Car – Driving Instruction)
  • Current Working With Children Check (WWCC)
  • Comprehensive vehicle insurance that covers learner drivers
  • Public liability and Professional Indemnity insurance


4. What car will I learn in?

Be sure to check the age, size and safety features of the car that you will be learning in.  The best car to learn in should be less than four years old and small to medium in size. This ensures that the learning environment has all the latest technology and is easy to park. 

When looking for safety features be sure to check that your instructor has dual controls fitted to the vehicle and the vehicle has a five star ANCAP rating.


5. Is it really a driving school?

This may seem obvious but beware there are a number of websites posing as driving schools. These sites are just booking agents for poor quality driving instructors and have zero interest in your driving goals. Make sure your driving school selects, trains and ensures the quality of its own trainers.

Want the best chance at driving success?

Book with LTrent today and start preparing to pass first go and driving safe for life.

Guide to older driver licensing in NSW

Keeping your driver’s licence ensures that you still have the freedom to move around. Older drivers licensing in NSW is set up so that there is a balance between the safety of road users and the general community with the continuing independence and mobility of older drivers.

Here is an outline of the requirements:
From 75 years, in order to keep their licence, all drivers need to undertake a yearly medical review with their General Practitioner to see if they are medically fit to drive.
Medical Review Forms are posted out by the RMS. If you do not undertake this medical review you cannot drive.

From 85 years, drivers still need to take a yearly medical review but have two options regarding their licence:

  1. Taking out a modified licence
  2. Keeping the unrestricted licence


Modified Licence
A modified licence lets you keep driving, with restricted circumstances. These circumstances are usually time and distance restrictions and are printed on your licence. You must comply with these conditions.

By choosing a modified licence, you won’t need to sit any tests.
You can opt to drive within a certain radius from your home, or restricted to certain times of the day. These options should be discussed with your GP and your family to see what’s best for you.

When you are ready, visit your local Service NSW office to discuss options.

Unrestricted Licence
To keep your unrestricted licence from 85 years, you will need to pass a practical assessment every second year.

The practical assessment must be completed two months prior to your birth date and up to one month after.

If you do not complete this assessment or apply for a modified licence, you cannot drive.

There are two options for the Practical Driver Assessment:

  1. You can do a driving test with a Roads and Maritime testing officer. You can have up to three attempts free of charge. After three failed attempts, the applicant must obtain a Learner’s Licence and can only drive with a licenced driver beside them in the car.
  2. You can choose to be assessed by a Trent Older Driver Assessor. There is no limit to the number of Trent Older Driver Assessments you can attempt.

If you fail the test or assessment, you can still choose to have a modified licence.

Choosing to stop driving
If at any stage you decide that you would like to stop driving altogether, you can return your licence to a registry or service centre, or post it to Roads and Maritime with a short covering letter advising of your decision

You can apply for a NSW Photo Card, if you still need photo identification. There is no charge for a NSW Photo Card, if you are handing in your drivers licence.

For further information click on the following links:
Older driver handbook