Safer Drivers Course
Complete the NSW Safer Drivers Course and gain 20 logbook hours
The Safer Drivers Course is for learner drivers in NSW with 50 hours of driving in their logbook to receive an extra 20 logbook hours upon successful completion of the driving course.
Transport for NSW considers the Safer Drivers Course to be an important government, public service which customers may still lawfully access.
You and your friends can join this 5 hour course and get 20 logbook hours together while learning safe driving techniques if they meet the requirements.
What Is A Safe Driving Course?
The Safer Drivers Course is designed for learner drivers wanting to learn more about becoming a safe driver, reduce risks and anticipate hazard situations by making well-informed decisions on the road.
Through both in-class activities and car coaching sessions, the Safer Drivers Course will help you to be safe long after the driving test. The course is fun, engaging and informative.
Benefits of Attending a Safer Driver Course
Upon completing a Safer Driver Course, you will have a better understanding of being a safe P-plate and defensive driver. Statistically, learner drivers have fewer crashes than provisional drivers. This does not mean that P-plate drivers are less skilled than learners, but rather that they face new challenges on the road. Other benefits once you complete the course includes:
- 20 logbook hours
- Ability to identify hazards on the road
- Understanding of how to reduce crash risk
- Better understanding of being a safe P-plate and defensive driver
- Understanding of low-risk driving techniques
- Receive driver training from our corporate fleet of LTrent instructors
How Much Is The Safer Drivers Course?
The course is $140. That is $7 per logbook hour! The course is to be paid before attending the first module of the Safer Drivers Course. The cost of the course has been subsidised by Transport NSW.
How Long Is The Safer Drivers Course?
The Safe Driver Course duration is 5 hours long where 3 hours is theory based in Module 1 and 2 hours of practical lessons on the road take place in Module 2.
- Three hour interactive facilitated group discussion
- The discussion will involve 10 - 12 learner drivers
- Explore behaviours and strategies that lead to becoming a safer driver
- There are a number of videos and activities to keep the session engaging
- Includes: hazard management, external and internal influences, speed management, following distance, gap selection, and more.
- Two hour coaching session with two learner drivers in the car with a driver trainer
- Participants will have a number of drives each on a set route
- Each of the drives throughout the coaching session are aimed at eliminating the major crash types that occur on NSW roads
- Includes: stationary low risk driving, checking your personal compass, recognising and responding to hazards, and more.
Safer Drivers Course Requirements
What Will I Learn?
A Safety Driving Course will explore the challenges that unsupervised drivers will face after they pass the test. You will learn strategies to deal with:
- external influences
- importance of thinking ahead
Safer Driver Course Locations
The Safer Driver Course is available across the Sydney region in Bondi Junction, Brookvale, Burwood, Campbelltown, Castle Hill, Chatswood, Coogee, Gymea, Hornsby, Hurstville, Liverpool, Mascot, North Ryde, Penrith, and Sylvania.
Safer Drivers Course FAQs
How do I book the Safer Drivers Course?
In order to book, you must be on your learner’s licence, have completed a minimum of 50 logbook hours (not including the 3 for 1 bonus hours) and you must be under 25 years old. If you fulfil all of these requirements, then you can go to our easy online booking system, or speak to one of our friendly team members on (02) 8748 4500
How many times can you take the Safety Driver Course?
Each learner driver can attend the Safety Driver Course only once in order to benefit from the 20 hours log book bonus credit. It is important to remember that each person must complete module 1 and module 2 before getting the 20 hours bonus on their log book.
What will I receive after the course?
20 hours entered into your log book
Can I do the course in a manual car?
We only offer this course in automatic cars due to the advanced driving locations used. If someone is not 100% confident with the controls of the car it can be dangerous.
Is this course a driving lesson?
- No, this course isn't the same as professional lessons. You will learn advanced skills for perceiving hazards and responding to them. It is not a lesson on car control.
- To see our types of driving lessons, please click here
- To book a lesson with our professional driver trainers, please click here
Who has the highest risk of crashing?
The first 6 months of being on a P1 licence is statistically the most dangerous period of a driver’s life. The potential of a road crash significantly increases the moment you successfully obtain your Provisional licence. In order to help prevent this, the LTrent Safer Drivers Course and the Hazard Perception Test (HPT) will help learner drivers to learn safe driving techniques.
Safer Drivers Course Providers (NSW)
LTrent is an industry-leading provider of the Safer Drivers Course (accredited by Transport for NSW).
The Course is delivered by facilitators and coaches (as outlined in the curriculum materials provided by Transport for NSW) in which they are required to be consistent and meet high-quality guidelines.
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is the product owner of the Safer Drivers Course (SDC). Any requirement to update or review the course needs to be approved by TfNSW.
Ready To Book Your Safer Drivers Course?
Find a suitable time and venue near you now.