Can International Students Drive in Australia | LTrent Driving School Blog

Can International Students Drive in Australia

Life in a different country is exciting and confusing, especially for an international student. Add driving to the mix, and it’s no wonder how someone can become so disoriented. Australia is a vast country, and driving makes travelling so much easier for an international student to go to any educational institution. There’s always public transportation, but that option can be severely limiting for our temporary residents. With that being said, can international students drive in Australia? We must follow some road rules, so let’s break down what our international students need to know to drive safely.


Like many other countries, a valid driver licence is necessary and must be carried at all times on Australian roads. Luckily, a licence from your home country is acceptable as long as it’s valid, current, and written in English. If your licence isn’t written in English, you’ll need to apply for a certified translation or an international driving permit from your home country.* If you wish to apply for a licence in Australia because you don’t have an overseas licence, you’ll need to apply through a state or territory motor registry (like the MVR by the Northern Territory Government or South Australia Government). Permanent residents of Australia must apply for an Australian licence within three months.*

Road Rules

All road users must learn about the rules and perks when driving in Australia. You’ll need to take multiple driving tests and buy a car, but there are many more things to consider. For example, speed limits vary by each territory and state. In South Australia, the highest speed limit is 110 kilometres per hour, while it’s 130 in the Northern Territory. Built-up areas have a limit of 50 kilometres, and school zones have the lowest, with South Australia’s being 25 and Queensland’s being up to 80. Don’t try committing any offences, or else you’ll have to pay a fine, lose your licence, and even face criminal charges!

Car Insurance

In Australia, you’re required to obtain third-party insurance, which helps insure you and others against any personal injuries you’ve caused. This is luckily included in your registration fees in many territories and states. There are two types of optional car insurance: optional third-party insurance and comprehensive insurance. Optional third-party insurance only covers damage you’ve caused to another driver’s vehicle. Comprehensive insurance, while more expensive, covers the damage on your vehicle and others. That’s much more inclusive and brings more peace of mind as a new driver in a foreign country . Like the many diverse people in Australia, you can choose from many diverse companies. Just make sure you do your research for the highest quality at the lowest price. Also, buy some roadside assistance in case your vehicle breaks down.


Can international students drive in Australia? Yes, and as long as they follow the rules and do their research, we happily encourage them to drive on our roads safely!

To get help with driving safely in Australia, get professional lessons from LTrent Driving School. Book online today!

Book Driving Lessons