Driving in School Zones in QLD
As the new school year of 2024 unfolds, it’s increasingly important for drivers in Queensland to familiarise themselves with the specific rules, dates, and times associated with driving near schools. Understanding these guidelines is not just a matter of legal compliance but a significant step towards ensuring the safety of our young learners.
In this guide, we at LTrent Driving School are committed to providing you with all the essential information you need to navigate school zones with confidence and care. Whether you’re a learner driver, an experienced motorist, or a parent of a school-going child, this comprehensive guide will equip you with the knowledge to drive safely and responsibly in and around school zones in Queensland. Let’s work together to make our roads safer for everyone, especially our children.
QLD School Zone Dates & Times 2024
In Queensland, school zones have specific times during which reduced speed limits are enforced. These times are designed to ensure the safety of children during peak school travel hours. Here’s a quick look at the standard school zone operating times for 2024:
|Monday 22 January to Thursday 28 March
|Monday 15 April to Friday 21 June
|Monday 8 July to Friday 13 September
|Monday 30 September to Friday 13 December
|School Zone Times
|Standard School Days
|7 am – 9 am and 2 pm – 4 pm
Driving in School Zones for the First Time
Driving in school zones for the first time can be a bit intimidating, but it’s crucial for the safety of our children. School zones are marked by signs indicating the zone speed limit, usually 40 km/h. These areas might also have flashing school zone signs to alert you. Remember, adhering to speed limits in school zones is not just about avoiding speeding fines and demerit points; it’s about protecting the lives of young students.
Tips for first time drivers in School Zones:
- Stay Alert: Look out for children, especially near state schools and in school catchments.
- Obey Speed Limits: Strictly adhere to the zone speed limit signs.
- Watch for Speed Cameras: They are often used in school zones to enforce speed limits.
- Respect Road Safety: School zones are high-risk areas, so extra caution is required.
Do School Zones Apply During School Holidays in Queensland?
A common question is whether school zone speed limits apply during school holidays. In Queensland, school zone speed limits are only enforced on school days. This means that during public holidays and school holidays, the standard speed limit for the road applies. However, it’s always important to drive with caution, as some schools might have activities during holidays.
Important Points to Note:
- School Day Specific: School zone speed limits apply only on days when the school is operational.
- Public Holiday Exemption: Speed limits revert to regular limits on public holidays.
- Double Demerits: Keep in mind that double demerits may apply for certain offences in school zones.
Traffic Offences Near Schools
When driving near schools, it’s vital to be aware of specific traffic offences to ensure the safety of all, especially children. Here are the top offences to avoid in school zones:
- Stopping Near Crossings: It’s illegal to stop 20 metres before or 10 metres after a signposted pedestrian or supervised children’s crossing.
- Stopping Near Bus Stops: Do not stop 20 metres before or 10 metres after a bus stop or within a bus zone.
- Stopping Near Intersections: Avoid stopping within 10 metres of an intersection or corner.
- Stopping on Footpaths: Never stop on a footpath or nature strip within a built-up area.
- Blocking Driveways: Ensure you don’t restrict access to a driveway.
- Parking Restrictions: Don’t park in a no parking zone for more than 2 minutes, in a no stopping zone, or on a yellow painted line.
- Double Parking: Double parking is prohibited as it blocks visibility and creates traffic hazards.
Understanding and adhering to these rules is not only about avoiding fines and demerit points but more importantly, about keeping our children safe in school zones.
Become a Safe Driver With LTrent Driving School
Driving safely in school zones is a critical aspect of road safety. At LTrent Driving School, with over 50 years of experience, we emphasise the importance of understanding and respecting these zones. Our driving programs are designed to instil safe driving habits, ensuring you are prepared for any driving situation, including the busy environment of school zones. Stay informed, stay safe, and let’s work together to protect our children on the road.