Guide to older driver licensing in NSW | LTrent Driving School

Guide to older driver licensing in NSW

Keeping your driver’s licence ensures that you still have the freedom to move around. Older drivers licensing in NSW is set up so that there is a balance between the safety of road users and the general community with the continuing independence and mobility of older drivers.

Here is an outline of the requirements:
From 75 years, in order to keep their licence, all drivers need to undertake a yearly medical review with their General Practitioner to see if they are medically fit to drive.
Medical Review Forms are posted out by the RMS. If you do not undertake this medical review you cannot drive.

From 85 years, drivers still need to take a yearly medical review but have two options regarding their licence:

  1. Taking out a modified licence
  2. Keeping the unrestricted licence


Modified Licence
A modified licence lets you keep driving, with restricted circumstances. These circumstances are usually time and distance restrictions and are printed on your licence. You must comply with these conditions.

By choosing a modified licence, you won’t need to sit any tests.
You can opt to drive within a certain radius from your home, or restricted to certain times of the day. These options should be discussed with your GP and your family to see what’s best for you.

When you are ready, visit your local Service NSW office to discuss options.
Unrestricted Licence
To keep your unrestricted licence from 85 years, you will need to pass a practical assessment every second year.

The practical assessment must be completed two months prior to your birth date and up to one month after.

If you do not complete this assessment or apply for a modified licence, you cannot drive.

There are two options for the Practical Driver Assessment:

  1. You can do a driving test with a Roads and Maritime testing officer. You can have up to three attempts free of charge. After three failed attempts, the applicant must obtain a Learner’s Licence and can only drive with a licenced driver beside them in the car.
  2. You can choose to be assessed by a Trent Older Driver Assessor. There is no limit to the number of Trent Older Driver Assessments you can attempt.

If you fail the test or assessment, you can still choose to have a modified licence.
Choosing to stop driving
If at any stage you decide that you would like to stop driving altogether, you can return your licence to a registry or service centre, or post it to Roads and Maritime with a short covering letter advising of your decision

You can apply for a NSW Photo Card, if you still need photo identification. There is no charge for a NSW Photo Card, if you are handing in your drivers licence.

For further information click on the following links:
Older driver handbook