L Trent Safety tip ~ Have an Escape
Have an Escape
Always try to have an “out” in any driving situation. Be prepared for the unexpected. A good safety cushion, an early decision and being seen are all escapes. The following points are important to remember when on the road;
- Don’t use the lane where traffic is entering or merging
- When stopping in traffic, is there an escape on the left side?
- Examine road shoulders – they may be needed
- Be in the right gear; if needed, use the accelerator to escape
- When slowing, adjust your braking speed to the actions of the following vehicle
- When approaching intersections, reduce speed. If a vehicle unexpectedly enters, can you stop?